STATEN ISLAND, NY – A 37-year-old Annadale man is charged with a robbery at a convenience store in Eltingville.
Authorities allege that Paul Gullo of Kenwood Avenue committed the theft on March 13 at around 6 p.m. inside the store at 4569 Amboy Road. The I Love New York convenience store is located at the address provided by the police.
The accused grabbed a 34-year-old worker by the hair and then banged the employee’s head against the counter, according to the criminal complaint and police.
Gullo then jumped over the counter and allegedly punched the worker repeatedly on the head and body.
As the worker lay helpless on the floor, he saw the suspect grab various items from the shelves, including cigars and electronic vaping products worth more than $140, before fleeing, according to the complaint.
The victim, who refused to seek treatment, suffered from swelling, redness and pain in the head and body.
Police finally arrested Gullo nine days later, when he was pulled over at a car stop near Hylan Boulevard and Lipsett Avenue in Annadale on March 22 around noon. Gullo was driving a gray 2014 Volkswagen, according to police.
He received a ticket after being charged with operating a motor vehicle as an unlicensed driver, operating a motor vehicle without a license and failing to obey a traffic device.
He is due back in criminal court on April 11 in the traffic case, according to police and public records.
In connection with the incident at the convenience store, Gullo was charged with robbery, assault, petty larceny, criminal possession of stolen property and harassment.
The defendant, who is about 5-foot-9 and weighs about 165 pounds, is being held at Rikers Island in lieu of bond set at $40,000/$15,000 cash. He is scheduled to appear in St. George State Supreme Court on April 22, according to public records.
A defense attorney is not yet listed in Gullo’s public records.
RELATED COVERAGE: Crime in Staten Island
- 40-year-old man charged with starting 2 fires at Midland Beach
- Driver with invalid plates arrested on Staten Island highway found with drugs, brass knuckles, police say
- SI woman charged with 2 scary robberies. The surge has sparked concern and activism among Port Richmond residents.
- Cops: Man caught with crack pipe allegedly shoplifted 5 times from Forest Avenue store
- Dawn raid on Westerleigh household nets, loaded gun, drug residue, cops say. Male, 24, charged.
- Loaded gun reportedly found in laundry bag during Staten Island police raid
- The New Dorp man, 31, was charged with stealing a car last year. Police say he was back, this time with a Lexus.
- Cops: Drunk driver’s wild crash sends fire hydrant flying through restaurant window on Hylan Boulevard
- Man and woman charged with beating victim and stealing bag of food in IS attack
- Driver had drugs, including ecstasy in the form of an iconic cartoon character, when he drove off, crashed into houses SI:Cops
- An IS woman, 29, said the home raid was “embarrassing”. Guns, ammo, drugs found, cops say; 2 loaded.
- Cops: Raid IS house with gun, hundreds of bullets in attic, drugs and loaded gun in bathroom
- NYPD: 33-year-old woman arrested with assault weapon in Staten Island
- Staten Island man, 33, allegedly had 128 bags of crack in the trunk of his car
- 2 women arrested after raid in Rossville; Large amount of drugs found, cops say
- He thought the plan to steal copper wire from the SI Railway depot was “easy money”, according to police. It ends with a brutal arrest.
- Accounts of 2 stolen cars on the South Shore: 1 victim was unloading groceries; 2nd had coffee
- Cops: Clifton car stop pockets 125 bags of drugs
- 3 days after SI’s father was killed in home invasion, woman charged with his murder released video of them training
- NYPD: Driver spotted smoking PCP at SI gas station leads cops in chase that ends in a fall in an alley and the discovery of drugs
- The doorbell rang, and then the nightmare began. Cops make an arrest during an IS home invasion; 3 others wanted.
- 34-year-old man allegedly caught with 2 guns in a duffel bag in South Beach
- Court documents reveal additional details of Staten Island police officer shooting
- Victim beaten with a bat, threatened with a knife in 2 horrific heists in Midland Beach. Male, 20, accused in both attacks.